Monday, January 17, 2011

Hello, My Name is Donna and I am a Tracker...

(it's funny how writing begets more writing...)

Hello, My Name is Donna and I am a Tracker...

I think I've written this before, but after writing my last blog I recognized the depth of my propensity to track, especially when it comes to my history with successfully losing weight.

I was a chunky girl. For the most part, I was fine with it. Well, not really, but it wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I did anything about it. You know how every crew has a funny girl? Every crew also has a fat girl, and I was her.

It all started with a little black book. In fact, I still have the book in my collection of journals. Anyway, it was a lined notebook from the Gap, back when the Gap ventured into the world of stationary. I bought that book when I was working at the Gap part-time while completing my studies at NYU. At that time, the moment when I got fed up, I could no longer fit jeans from the women's section. I remember it like it was yesterday...using my employee discount to purchase men's relaxed fit jeans in a size 38x30.

On May 29, 1997, I started writing. According to my entry, I had been engaged in some kind of weight loss efforts. On this particular day I was a few pounds away from 200lbs for the first time in six years. The next day I wrote in big, bold letters, "I did the Stairmaster for 10 minutes!! Go me!!"

I want that enthusiasm and joy back. I want the grace and kindness to myself that celebrates my small victories. Where did that go? When did I become so mean and unforgiving? Just days ago I called myself fat in front of someone who wasn't having it...she put me in my place. I think the girl who wrote that entry on May 30, 1997, my almost twenty-one year old self, would have called me out on it, too.

When I flipped through the journal, I found that I was 181lbs on August 14, 1997; I allowed myself cheat days; I relapsed, but got back on the horse within a week or two; and on June 11, 1998 I weighed 167lbs.

That was my first experience with tracking...

Since then I have kept numerous journals, counted calories on websites, penned my pedometer results, logged my runs/walks on Nike.com, and been hassled and encouraged by my Wii Fit...all with successful results. I am the perfect candidate for Weight Watchers, except I am not for paying a monthly fee (especially since we already pay a gym membership).

So, what's a tracker to do?







Armed with my iPad, I am ready to do this. I did some research and settled on the app from MyNetDiary.com. It allows me enter my information, set a plan, and keep a daily log of food intake and energy expended (exercise). It is something that allows me to monitor my results and my habits, which I think will be helpful when it comes time to keep the weight off (the area where I struggle most).

Let the tracking begin...


- Posted using BlogPress on the fiercest device ever...the iPad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment