Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Detox Day Eleven

The good...
With lunch packed, and an unexpected snow storm keeping me in the house, I was ready for the day. Eating well is easy when everything is packaged. Not pre-packaged, like processed foods, but good healthy leftovers stored away in ziplock containers. Last night I made broccoli, brown rice, and a grilled tilapia with orange and yellow peppers, sweet onions, and garlic. Following a tip I saw on the Biggest Loser last week, I only used two tablespoons of olive oil to cook it all. It is amazing how far olive oil will go, if you let it.

The gooder...
When we woke up this morning it was not snowing. Somewhere in between deciding whether or not my body could handle a workout or whether I should crawl back under the covers, it started to snow. Hard. The gym was no longer an option; I just wasn't up to the hassle that is the traffic in our neighborhood when it snows. So, I crawled back into bed. But I couldn't stay there. My body was itching for a workout. Instinctively it knew that being pushed some more was just what it needed to get over my Zumba soreness. I put on the television, flipped the channel to VH1 Soul, and worked out for 30 minutes on my elliptical machine to reggae music. It felt really good! Months ago, I couldn't peel myself out of bed to get to the gym. Today, I couldn't stay in bed because my body wanted to move. In the words of Tramaine Hawkins, "A wonderful change has come over me..."

The goodest...
I lounged all day today. Don't get me wrong, I worked...but I did so from the comfort of my bed in my pajamas. I worked on the programs for a Homegoing celebration on Friday and a memorial service on Saturday. I planned for the When the Praises Go Up Youth Event on February 12th and for the kick-off of Praying Away the Pounds on Sunday. I must admit, I missed being with the good people in Bible Study, however I thoroughly enjoyed this day of rest that the snow day afforded me.

Can it get any better...
When cabin fever got the best of me, I gave in. Although I had my good eats ready for me in ziplock containers, I also had a tub of cookie dough in the refrigerator that kept calling my name. Donna. Donna. At around 3:00 p.m., I finally answered its call and put some cookies in the oven. The smell of chocolate chip cookies baking warmed my heart on this cold, snowy day. The taste of the cookies brought a smile to my face. Instead of hanging my head in shame, I adjusted my calories for the day and kept it moving. My cookies were not exactly detox food, I know, but there is something about warm chocolate chip cookies that makes being cooped up not so bad. For some reason, I don't find comfort in oranges and blueberries in these kind of moments. (Believe me, I tried.) Why is this the best part of the day? For one, I am aware of an emotional thing that happened here. The cold and gray outside cause me to seek out warm and sweet on the inside. Now that I am aware, I can work on it. One day the orange will be sufficient on a cold, snowy day. Also, I didn't call the day a wash. I counted the cost and adjusted accordingly. The old me would have eaten the cookies and declared the remainder of the day a cheat day. I'm so glad He changed me...

- Posted using BlogPress on the fiercest device ever...the iPad!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment