Friday, February 26, 2010

Snow Day (pt. 2)


The above picture is from a snow day last year. I was reminded of it when I went out this afternoon.

I spent the better part of this morning working. It's kind of funny. Once I am honest with myself, and others, about my capacity and my limitations, I turn into a working machine. So, this morning I caught up on work for my Arts & Theology Internship and God-Talk with Black Thinkers Assistanship. At around noon, I paused, and realized that it had been two days since I had a decent workout and, with the impending snow over the next couple of days, if I wasn't careful, a week would go by without getting it in. So, I put on my Patagonia Dry Wicking Thermals (which I love, love, love), layered up in sweats, laced up my snow boots and went out for a walk. (btw, I cannot wait for my Nike+ band to return. I am so ready to start training for my 10K.)

The sun was shining for most of my walk. The air was crisp. Adults were shoveling. Children were making snow igloos. Squirrels were nowhere in sight. And I was walking. I walked on clear ground and it was easy. I walked in mounds of snow and ramped up my heart rate (at times it felt like running in sand). It was a beautiful day. It was even beautiful when the clouds rolled in and the snow started coming down. At that point I was about 3/4 of the way into (or out of) my walk and all I could do was press on.

As I approached my building the snow stopped. So I decided that before I would head up to the apartment that I would clean off this snow. This is a BIG deal. I must admit that I am one of those folks who take full advantage of snow days (and delays) by relaxing inside. Never have I been proactive about cleaning off my car. But, thanks be to God, there is always room for growth. I cleaned off my car and, I must say, I did a good job. Usually I am rushing and I clean it enough to see out the windows (and annoy other drivers). But it is clean, and when it is time for me to motivate, I will be ready to go.

But until I am ready to go I will eat lunch, catch a nap, sermonize, and maybe, just maybe, work on my art project....

No comments:

Post a Comment