Friday, February 4, 2011

Let's scream, let's shout...shake your body down to the ground!!!

I have been thinking about what it means to have womanist sensibilities in the midst of my life as wife, minister, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. According to the third definition written in Alice Walker's "In Search of My Mother's Garden," a womanist: Loves music. Loves dance. Loves the moon. Loves the Spirit. Loves love and food and roundness. Loves struggle. Loves the Folk. Loves herself. Regardless.

It may seem like a stretch to some, but my ZUMBA class appeals to my womanist sensibilities...in one room, at one time, there is music, dance, spirit, love, roundness, struggle, folk, and me...

That said, look what came in the mail today...







NOW, with my fiercely purple (womanist) Nike Huraches, I am really ready. I cannot wait for ZUMBA on Tuesday. It is probably the most fun and most intense workout I have ever done...emphasis on the word FUN! The joy of dancing keeps me moving when my hips are burning, my legs don't want to be lifted any more, and sweat is dripping into my eyes (it is a beautiful struggle)Admittedly, I am not the go hard type in the gym. I sweat some, but not to the point where it is gross. I work just hard enough for results, but not any harder than I need to. But in this class, sweating hard and working hard come naturally to me. Perhaps it is because dancing comes naturally to me (though hubby thinks I have two left feet). Whether I am a dancing machine, or I have two left feet, I now have the shoes to take my ZUMBA workout to the next level!


- Posted using BlogPress on the fiercest device ever...the iPad!!!

1 comment:

  1. okay Ms fierce and purple do your Zumba thang. remember how you would go to a party and dance all night, lets see if you can keep up the pace, seems like your getting back in the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete