Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just Fine...

Some months ago, I posted something about finally being comfortable in my curvy, fleshy, womanly body. I have to admit, this is nothing short of a miracle. I have been aware of the size of my body since I was in kindergarten. My weight, my thick thighs, my round belly had always been a source of consternation. I can honestly admit that for much of my life I did not like me--the outer me, that is. In my twenties and early thirties I fought with my body. I treated her unkindly. I starved her and worked her out mercilessly only to, a few months later, gorge her and give her permission to sit and do nothing for months and months on end. As a result, my weight went up and down and up and down and, well, you get the picture. My closet reflected this change. I had skinny clothes and fat clothes and really fat clothes on hangers and in bins just waiting until it was their time.

But this is a new day...

I am good with me. And, my husband is good with me. And, my doctors are good with me. But it seems there are some folk who haven't quite gotten with the program. I went to the gym today and decided to take them up on the one free personal training session. Well my trainer after pleasantries and required, but not authentic, compliments, asked me my height and weight. She then asked me my goals. I told her that I wanted get fit and lose about 5 pounds (picked up in the hustle and bustle after the wedding). She then ignored my goals and tried to persuade me that I needed to get to 125lbs and that she could get me there. I bucked. She bucked back throwing out numbers and words like dangerous and types of fat that she couldn't pronounce, let alone explain. But I stood my ground. First of all, I am quite healthy. Second of all, I am not my fittest, but I am no slouch. Thirdly, my head alone weighs 115lbs! Plus, and most importantly, I am good with my body. No one, especially not a stranger who is trying to milk me for 40 bucks a session, is going to lead me to believe that I need to be a size 4 to be healthy. I have been in this body for 34 years. I have been aware of her size for about 29 of those years. I am tired of hating her, hating me. I am tired of obsessing over every bite of food and every calorie burned. In fact, I had an aha! moment today while on the treadmill: Working out is much more liberating when you aren't obsessed with the results. These days, and for the rest of my days, I will be working out for self-care, not to be skinny....

So my goals, the ones I will share with ole girl when I meet with her on Monday morning are:
1)To have fun when I work out...
(I've already gotten back into my Bellydancing...next up, Zumba!)

2)To establish a routine...
(I want working out to be part of what I do like eating, sleeping, worshiping, etc.)

3)To build up my arm strength and my confidence enough to make that cartwheel happen...
(See an earlier post from January, I think)

If her harassment wasn't enough, I was accosted in the elevator of my mother's building a few hours ago. I was talking with a woman who has lived in the building all of my life. Apparently she had been literally watching me grow. She said, "You're gaining weight since I saw you last." First of all, grammar lady, grammar! Second of all, I saw you last week but you were too scattered to notice. And thirdly (what actually came out of my mouth), no I'm not gaining weight. She then tried to clean it up, put her foot in her mouth again, and thanks be to God, the elevator reached the seventh floor, our stop.

Why do people feel the need to comment on your weight? The audacity! What she didn't realize was that I am good with me and that I was feeling especially dynamite in my leopard print dress and knee high boots.

I was reminded of a comment my grandma made about my weight last November. At that time I was just getting on the road to where I am now. As always, my grandma made some comment about me gaining weight--this time used the word stout. What woman wants to be called stout? Huh? Anyway, I usually stay quiet when she brings up my weight, but I guess I had had enough. I politely said, "Grandma, are you trying to lower my self-esteem?" (I couldn't believe it had actually come out of my mouth.) She replied, "huh?" I knew she had heard me, I guess she wanted to know if she heard what she though she heard. I may have been an adult, but I still had no business sassing her. I boldly repeated the question. Instead of saying something harsh, she said, "I reckon not." That was the end of our exchange. That was also the last time my grandma said anything to me about my weight/body.

This is kind of random, but also related. I am moving to a place where I am refusing to participate in conversations when my girlfriends obsess over and speak negatively about their weight/body. There are so many productive things to talk about. We are too beautiful to wate our time on such chatter. Plus, it does more harm than good. Just as I am (finally) just fine, I want my friends--and all women in general--to be just fine with who they are, inside and out.

So, with that, I leave you with the wonderful words of Mary J. Blige. If I am not mistaken, this song is on every one of my workout playlists. It reminds me that I am good with me. It reminds me not to compare myself with others. It reminds me not to internalize the insecurities of others. Also, this particular video shows just how much of the joint this song is. Peep the news guy getting his groove on.




I like what I see when I'm looking at me when I'm walking past the mirror...

2 comments:

  1. "Thirdly, my head alone weighs 115lbs!", this cracked me up! Your head is not that big!!

    This is an excellent post. We all have to be comfortable in our own skin. Not everyone is meant to be a size 2, even though society would like you to think otherwise. There is a big difference between being skinny and being healthy/fit. I pray that I learn to accept and love my body in the same manner that you have learned to love and accept yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go ahead girl and preach!! I can't believe the trainer at the gym did that. Not everyone is made to be a size 4. We all have different body types and frames and someone in her field should know better. Oh well. You look great and as long as you're healthy, that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete