Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Journey...

Lent begins tomorrow, commencing with Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is marked in Catholic (and some Protestant) congregations by the imposition of ashes. Back in the day I used to wonder about people who had the dirt smeared on their foreheads (my uninformed understanding). As a student at Drew, I received ashes for the first time. My eyes were opened. Like King David, when confronted by the prophet Nathaniel, I recognized that to wear the ashes was to "...acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin [that] is ever before me" (Psalm 51:3 KJV). What more powerful way to be reminded that we, as believers, are sinners saved by grace than to look in the mirror and see the ashes. What more powerful way to express the weight or sin to the world, and your allegiance with the One who has the power to forgive sin, than to wear the ashes. We Christians love to talk about grace; Sin, not so much. But the truth is that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). I may look good on the outside, I may look good now, but glory to God that Jesus died for my sin (and yours, too). I will not be wearing the ashes on my forehead this year, but they will be imprinted on my heart...

During this season of Lent, I am focused on movement...
from gray bareness to verdant blossoms;
from Winter to Spring;
from death to new life;
from sin to righteousness;
from sickness to healing;
from bondage to liberty;
from fear to faith;
from self to the Savior;
from carnal to Spiritual;
from Ash Wednesday to Resurrection Sunday;
from tradition to intimacy...

Fellow sojourners, where you at? Looking forward to sharing with you as we journey together...
(the sharing, however, will happen after Resurrection Sunday)


- Posted using BlogPress on the fiercest device ever...the iPad!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great focus for the lent season, may God anwser all your prayers:)

    ReplyDelete