Friday, August 20, 2010

Solid As A Rock...

As I as driving home this afternoon, listening to Marley Marl play old school R&B on 98.7 Kiss FM, I felt old. Really old. I didn't feel old because I could sing along with every word of every song he was playing, thereby showing my age. No, I felt old when the following though crossed my mind: They sure don't make music like they used to...

I mean really. That is on par with attributing every problem that every person has to drugs. You know what I'm talking about... Whether someone is 3 months behind on rent, isn't taking care of their child, got fired from yet another job, or lost 20 pounds rapidly, an older (and usually wiser) person will ask, "Is he (or she) on drugs?" Some don't even ask. They just declare, "That girl (or boy) must be on something." Well, I find myself doing that. In fact I did it earlier this week. (Don't laugh, you know you do it too!)

Back to the matter at hand. I must admit, I don't trust Trey Songz like I trust Teddy Pendergrass. I don't think Beyonce and Jay-Z can say anything worth holding a candle to Ashford and Simpson. Don't get me wrong. There are some new folks doing it right now. (Case in point, Jeanelle Monet. Girl can sing and dance and probably could have kept up with James Brown in his heyday.) But for the most part, music today isn't saying too much. At least nothing worth listening to.

Well, in honor of my age, and in celebration of a song that really inspired this newlywed on her ride home, pump up the volume and press play. Now they were saying something....


No comments:

Post a Comment