Monday, August 9, 2010

Making the Sermon: An Introduction

Welcome to the newest feature on my blog! I thought if John Landis could be known for "The Making of Thriller" and Puff Daddy (I refuse to call him Diddy) can flood MTV airwaves with "Making the Band" then surely the blogosphere would be ready for "Making the Sermon."

Some of my favorite homiletic texts are those that speak to the creative process of preachers. My all time favorites are Dr. Cleophas LaRue's Power in the Pulpit: How America's Most Effective Black Preachers Prepare Their Sermons and Jana Childers' Birthing the Sermon: Woman Preachers on the Creative Process.

Currently, my creative process is being developed. This I do know: my best sermons are birthed when I am resting, exercising, and taking good care of myself. A few months ago a sermon preached itself to me as I was running the loop at Giralda Farms. I couldn't get home fast enough to write it down! Now, in my new role as Assistant to the Pastor at the Bethesda Baptist Church, with regular preaching responsibilities, I am getting into the habit and rhythm of sermon preparation. Today was spent looking for and waiting to be found by next week's text.

This new feature will give you a glimpse into the joys and challenges of sermon preparation of a young preacher trying to find her way. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment