Thursday, July 3, 2014

I Won't Complain... (Part 1)

July 3, 2014
10:25 a.m.
A few days ago I got tired of hearing myself complain. Sure, my pregnancy has been filled with woes and aches and illness, but I must admit that I have been over the top in my complaining about every little thing that has bothered me. Add to this complaints about the weather, people's driving skills, my neighbors shoddy parking, etc. etc.. Besides the fact that complaining is annoying, it is antithetical to the will of God. I know this. I taught a Bible Study on this. In his first letter to the Thessalonian church, the Apostle Paul writes, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (5:18).  Giving thanks is the polar opposite of complaining. And if God wills that we give thanks in every thing, then our complaints--my complaints--are a slap in the face to a great and wonderful God.  And yet, I still complain.

This morning, someone on my Instagram feed posted the following image:



The image convicted me and reminded me of my desire to stop complaining. With that in mind, at 10:00am today, I embarked on a 24 hour challenge to cease complaining. I'll post my findings and observations tomorrow, but until then, and in the Spirit of Portals Into God's Presence, I leave you with one of my favorite songs, "I Won't Complain"  This song may be easy to sing, the harder and more rewarding part, is living it out day to day...

I've had some good days ,
I've had some hills to climb,
I've had some weary days,
And some sleepless nights.
But when I look around
And I think things over;
All of my good days
Outweigh my bad days
I won't complain.

Sometimes the clouds are low
I can hardly see the road.
I ask a question, Lord
Lord, why so much pain?
But he knows what's best for me
Although my weary eyes
They can't see.
So I'll just say thank you Lord
I won't complain.

The Lord has been so good to me.
He's been good to me.
More than this old world or you could ever be.
He's been so good to me.

He dried all of my tears away
Turned my midnights into day.
So I'll just say thank you Lord
I won't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment